Sunday, June 12, 2011

Unreality

I was on a roof deck in Belltown last night. I was looking around me at all of the buildings. They are all so tall. I couldn't believe the black glass on this one building. I couldn't believe the shape of these buildings. I looked at my friends and I told them I felt like I was in a Star War movie. Like I was in some fantasy world.

Sometimes the world around me feels so unfamiliar. Because when I really think about what it is, how it happened, how I happened within it, it all becomes completely strange and unfamiliar. Nothing feels self-evident or natural. Complete confusion.

But that is the perspective I would prefer to have. One in which novelty is hard to avoid. It is interesting, though, how I don't always have that view. Sometimes I'm wrapped up in the humdrum of my life. Things are ordinary and I drift without much thought.

But lately I've been pretty startled. Paying attention is easier.

Time is passing more slowly.

I don't know what I'm doing. It is funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I spend most of my time working as a mental health professional. I have been preoccupied with philosophy, politics, healing, and many other questions for the last 15 years or so. I am currently working on putting together my study of Plato and Aristotle with contemporary work in philosophy, psychology, psychotherapy, and trauma research. I use this place primarily as a workshop for ideas. I welcome conversation with anyone working on similar problems. The major contours of my basic project have been outlined here

Followers