Sunday, December 5, 2010

Expression, Communication, And Dancing

Tonight I was out dancing at a club called Noc Noc.

About 10% of the dance floor was transexuals. What fun.

I really enjoyed myself. I was dancing and having a good time from start to finish.

On the dance floor you have all kinds of different interactions with all kinds of different people. You talk to them with your eyes and with your movements. You move. They move.

You dance.

You both have fun.

While actually dancing I felt very blank. No thoughts getting in the way of me intuitively moving my body. It felt very good.

But at the back of my mind I knew what thoughts were bubbling. I could feel them.

I couldn't help but think about the difference between expression and communication and the way that dance contained elements of both.

Expression is a process by which we physically manifest our own emotions, we express them through movements regardless of what others think.

Communication, on the other hand, involves a concern for the thoughts of another person who is witnessing your expression.

So dancing I am always expressing myself. I just move to the beat. It feels good.

But then someone is looking at me and I catch their eye. Suddenly I am concerned with the way that they perceive my movement – I lapse into communication.

The difference between expression and communication is on my mind a lot these days.

And I love dancing.

I'm pleased that my outing tonight was not only a great time, but it prompted me to reflect on this issue of expression and communication.

Lovingly, over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I spend most of my time working as a mental health professional. I have been preoccupied with philosophy, politics, healing, and many other questions for the last 15 years or so. I am currently working on putting together my study of Plato and Aristotle with contemporary work in philosophy, psychology, psychotherapy, and trauma research. I use this place primarily as a workshop for ideas. I welcome conversation with anyone working on similar problems. The major contours of my basic project have been outlined here

Followers