Saturday, February 19, 2011

Why Would I Wear This Shirt?

I just got out of the shower and put on a shirt that I like. A very pale green ringer with darker green circles on the sleeves and collar.

At this point in the night I have a strong likelihood of staying in my apartment and writing. I may just wrapped up in my own world in here. I might not see anyone at all tonight. I feel fine about that.

But as I was putting on the shirt, or as I was getting ready to put it on, as I was picking it out, I was struck by the strangeness of putting on a shirt that I like when the likelihood of no one seeing it is very low.

Why would I wear a shirt that looks good when I don't think anyone will see me wearing it? Why do I wear the clothes that I do? It seems like it would be better if someone were to see me wearing it. It seems silly to just admire my own clothing alone in a room. But I did it anyways.

I'm wearing the shirt. Perhaps I'm simply imagining someone looking at me wearing it and that is good enough for me. I just don't like clothes all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I spend most of my time working as a mental health professional. I have been preoccupied with philosophy, politics, healing, and many other questions for the last 15 years or so. I am currently working on putting together my study of Plato and Aristotle with contemporary work in philosophy, psychology, psychotherapy, and trauma research. I use this place primarily as a workshop for ideas. I welcome conversation with anyone working on similar problems. The major contours of my basic project have been outlined here

Followers