Saturday, February 19, 2011

Sometimes

Sometimes I know that I wanted to write something, but I simply can't remember what it was. It has slipped into the stream of my experience and I can't recover any trace of it.

Tonight has been a weird night. A night of not doing many things. I ate some pizza. I watched a tv show. I'm gonna sleep soon. Sleep is what I want to do.

I'm still having a hard time understanding how it is that I'm writing on the same issues that I've been writing on for this long. Well, I didn't really start writing super seriously about them until a year or so ago. But I've been thinking about them seriously now for three or four years.

How is it that the imagination is powerful enough to replicate the effects of experience? That is the serious question.

Then there are a series of questions prompted by this single question. Does it matter? How could I make it matter? What does this really mean for education?

Eh. I have had an article open in my browser for the last few days. An article about military training called "The Design of Synthetic Experiences for Effective Training: Challenges for DMO."

Simulation and synthetic experience are the crucial questions for me. It is nice to see that synthetic experience is a term being used by more people than just my one favorite professor.

I also have a book that I need to look at called Simulation And Its Discontents. It refers more so to forms of simulation that take place in the sciences. Computer simulations of weather, of chemical reactions, etc..

I wonder how all these things will come together. Benjamin, Adorno, Foucault, old political philosophy, Heidegger, Zizek, all the things I have and haven't read. How will I synthesize them?

Not that there is one single way to synthesize them. But that I will have my own unique way of synthesizing them that will come from my experiences, from my inclinations, from my work.

I plan on working hard some day. Harder than I work now.

I know this blog has been meager lately. It continues to be a collection of scattered reflections.

But I do have such a large piece of writing waiting in a word document. I'm making progress on it a few pages at a time.

It is so hard for me to sit down and give a concentrated effort to writing. Perhaps it is because simulation and synthetic experience are such difficult things for me to write about. But also because my time is occupied by other people, other things.

Oh well, over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I spend most of my time working as a mental health professional. I have been preoccupied with philosophy, politics, healing, and many other questions for the last 15 years or so. I am currently working on putting together my study of Plato and Aristotle with contemporary work in philosophy, psychology, psychotherapy, and trauma research. I use this place primarily as a workshop for ideas. I welcome conversation with anyone working on similar problems. The major contours of my basic project have been outlined here

Followers