Friday, September 30, 2011

So Long, September.

What an interesting month it has been. What an interesting two months it has been.

What a great year it has been.

Things have changed. I have a new job.

I'm working this one now and I don't know what I'm going to do next.

But I feel really good about that. I have so many different thoughts going on right now.

A large part of it is that I'm reading Collingwood's An Essay On Metaphysics. Such an important book for me to be reading. Such a crucial moment for Collingwood. The book offers me a moment in his life where his views on philosophy, history, and politics intersect in really fascinating way.

And it couldn't come at a better time personally.

As some of you (i.e. none of you or few of you invisible readers) may remember that in May of 2010 I posted an essay on Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde that I had submitted to a literary journal at Notre Dame. Unfortunately, the journal rejected my paper on the sole grounds that it had been previously published on my blog. Frustrating news that leaves me unsure about my vague goal of becoming a published writer before entering graduate school. So, I have learned a valuable lesson about the danger of blogs. One I may have been warned about earlier.

So one of my goals has been to produce a piece of writing that word be worthy of publication. And, more importantly, to not post the writing on my blog so as not to blow it. So I am working on an essay that will compare Collingwood and Foucault. More specifically, I will analyze their views on the subject, the historical nature of the subject, and the political implications of those views.

The tentative title is 'Why Foucault Needs Collingwood: The Subject, History, And Political Action'.

I hope it will go into some stuff.

I want to make it a nice, clean, concise, and limited statement. This is the type of essay that could into a monster project. And I suspect and hope that part of my future research will be the relationship between Collingwood and Foucault.

I think they represent vital issues. Issues about decision making, war, history, politics. They are really the two philosophers I click with the most so far. And I take philosophy of history so seriously. They are my masters at this point. In the future I'll hopefully be able to move beyond them.

This essay will be another step in that process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I spend most of my time working as a mental health professional. I have been preoccupied with philosophy, politics, healing, and many other questions for the last 15 years or so. I am currently working on putting together my study of Plato and Aristotle with contemporary work in philosophy, psychology, psychotherapy, and trauma research. I use this place primarily as a workshop for ideas. I welcome conversation with anyone working on similar problems. The major contours of my basic project have been outlined here

Followers