Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Internet Is Amazing

I am so pleased to have gone a whole month without the internet.

Even that brief hiatus has effectively destroyed my familiarity with its majesty.

I fear that in the future I shall once again become numb to its wonder.

So this is a reminder to future Riley: The internet is an amazing beast.

It holds many treasures and many pitfalls.

Use it wisely: for blogging, for researching, for music.

Not for distraction and not for time wasting. Or perhaps time wasting is fine. Whatever.

I just read so much about the internet and its effects on my brain. Norman Doidge and Nicholas Carr gave me sufficient warning. I hope that I can heed those warnings and engage with this medium intelligently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I spend most of my time working as a mental health professional. I have been preoccupied with philosophy, politics, healing, and many other questions for the last 15 years or so. I am currently working on putting together my study of Plato and Aristotle with contemporary work in philosophy, psychology, psychotherapy, and trauma research. I use this place primarily as a workshop for ideas. I welcome conversation with anyone working on similar problems. The major contours of my basic project have been outlined here

Followers