Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Struggling to Execute This Essay

This essay I'm working on is challenging me pretty intensely. I have a rough outline right now. I can't decide if the whole thing needs to fall into four or five sections. Sections two and three might need to collapse into one another. Oh. Yup.

As soon as I wrote that line I realized that it had to.

Errr. Or maybe it doesn't. Oh. No. It doesn't. Now I just see that part II need to be a part general statement about how art is useful for both artists and the community. Then part III will be a series of ideas about how an individual can attempt to become an artist in his everyday life.

Yes. The parts will remain separate.

This essay looks like it will be pretty big.

But that is good. It'll be nice to have a work in progress. I hope I can find the time to finish it, with all this working and all.

I also started reading a fascinating book today. The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains by Nicholas Carr.

Hard for me to imagine someone who is doing a better job at merging all of my interests: neuroplasticity, contemporary culture, the transformation of minds in society. Most importantly, I feel like Carr is doing what I am describing as 'the genealogy of the modern mind'. He is describing what minds are like in this exact moment in history.

Work is fine. The apartment hunt is not so fine. But my reading and writing are going well. So what else really matters? Well, the short answer is lots of things. But my reading, thinking, and writing is keeping me going.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I spend most of my time working as a mental health professional. I have been preoccupied with philosophy, politics, healing, and many other questions for the last 15 years or so. I am currently working on putting together my study of Plato and Aristotle with contemporary work in philosophy, psychology, psychotherapy, and trauma research. I use this place primarily as a workshop for ideas. I welcome conversation with anyone working on similar problems. The major contours of my basic project have been outlined here

Followers