Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Social Pupil

What does the pupil of your eye do?

It expands when it wants to take in more light. It contracts when it wants to take in less light.

I wish to be the dilated social eye.
I want to always let you in.
You and your light,
Your words and their mind.

Because the mind, too, dialates and contracts.
It lets in more or less degrees of the other.
Sometimes it readily takes minds in.
But it also reduces minds, minimizes their intake.

If you manage to pay attention
Minds are bright.
Every interaction is like
An optometry appointment.

All the light is painfully clean.
The streets and their numbers
Are novel and nonsensical.
Gas behemoths are a blurry green.

But I am money bound
Using that beep
To take that ride
To encounter another frown.

Another disinterested soul
Trudging through this mess.
Waiting to die
Just like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I spend most of my time working as a mental health professional. I have been preoccupied with philosophy, politics, healing, and many other questions for the last 15 years or so. I am currently working on putting together my study of Plato and Aristotle with contemporary work in philosophy, psychology, psychotherapy, and trauma research. I use this place primarily as a workshop for ideas. I welcome conversation with anyone working on similar problems. The major contours of my basic project have been outlined here

Followers