Tuesday, January 24, 2012

My Thoughts Shock Me

Earlier I had a shower and I was blown away by what I was able to think. I had to stop actively showering and brace myself in the wake of my revelations.

Later tonight a friend told me his thoughts didn't shock him.

I'm happy that I don't identify with that statement.

Because my thoughts shock me.

Hopefully at least once a week.

I am far too outraged to not be shocked.

I make abstract connections, I think through 'big' problems in silly ways and it makes me feel better.

And it always startles me. It freaks me out. It scares me. My mind scares me. I love it.

My writing is magical.

It produces in me emotions that are practically useful in my daily living.

And this issue, the issue of 'magic' is the one I am currently working on tentatively addressing.

You will be seeing a new essay from me soon.

'Nihilism, Magic, and Amusement: Rediscovering Aesthetic-Mystical Experience'.

Something like that.

I rely on precise definitions that come from Collingwood's The Principles Of Art.

I hope that sometimes people just read my essays and hang with me. Because I hope that by the end of the essay things are clearer. Because in the intro, in the title, things are not clear.

My essays are assays. Not confident statements.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I spend most of my time working as a mental health professional. I have been preoccupied with philosophy, politics, healing, and many other questions for the last 15 years or so. I am currently working on putting together my study of Plato and Aristotle with contemporary work in philosophy, psychology, psychotherapy, and trauma research. I use this place primarily as a workshop for ideas. I welcome conversation with anyone working on similar problems. The major contours of my basic project have been outlined here

Followers