Saturday, April 9, 2011

Oh Wurd?

I woke up this morning around 9 or so and I've been doing a lot of writing. It has been going well. I'm pleased with the steps I've taken. Although the conclusions are quite jumbled in my mind.

I managed to finish the first section of the first sub-section of part IV. It is titled 'politics and war, power and violence'. I ended up running through all different kinds of authors who deal with these issues. I capped it all of with Zizek's work on the distinction between subjective and objective violence. It is actually quite valuable for me to have clarified those things. It throws a lot of light on some things I have been thinking for a while, and I don't think I grasped its core when I first read this book at the end of last year.

Good to revisit it and to solidify its claims a little bit.

The next section is called 'insurrection, civil disobedience, satyagraha, and war without violence'. Should be interesting to try and write about those issues. I wonder how long it will take.

What I really want right now is lunch. But I also really want to read. I'm tempted to go somewhere by myself and eat something and read. But I'm not sure what I want to eat. Qdoba seems like a silly temptation.

I really want to continue to read Zizek's In Defense Of Lost Causes. I'm so frustrated with it though. It is overwhelming seeing how carefully he has read so many different philosophers. Mao is a figure he is discussing right now that is really baffling me.

But whatever. I remember back in 2009 when I read Collingwood's The Idea Of History and how scared of it I was. It made me so nervous. But I pushed through it and I didn't grasp everything. And then recently I reread portions of it and I was able to grasp so much more. Just keep pushing at the limits of my intellect. There is nothing else to do, nothing else to do other than try try try to learn learn learn.

Wuddup, son.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I spend most of my time working as a mental health professional. I have been preoccupied with philosophy, politics, healing, and many other questions for the last 15 years or so. I am currently working on putting together my study of Plato and Aristotle with contemporary work in philosophy, psychology, psychotherapy, and trauma research. I use this place primarily as a workshop for ideas. I welcome conversation with anyone working on similar problems. The major contours of my basic project have been outlined here

Followers