Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The "Society Must be Defended" Lectures: This Is Going to be a Long Project

So my series of post's I am working on, which I have called the "Society's Implicit War" posts. It is a series of posts that are all interrelated. At this point I have written chapter 1 of 6. It is a big push for me intellectually because it perfectly captures where I am at in my thought right now.

I am trying to reestablish my personal interest in military history, and trying to combine it with my interest in the historical philosophy of Michel Foucault. It is really strange because Foucault is making it too easy. In Discipline & Punish, Volume I of The History of Sexuality, and in Power/Knowledge Foucault is very regularly referencing war, military institutions, and their relationship to power.

I just got a new set of lectures, however. They are called Society Must be Defended. They are the lectures he gave at the College de France from 1975-76, so just before DnP's and HOS Volume 1's publication.

Either way, the entire series of lectures is devoted to the role of war and the army in the functioning of state power. Lots more discussion of Clausewitz. It is just going to add such depth to my knowledge of Foucault's stance on war. Which is good. Cause these essays are a tricky thing. They are clearly on to something. I just am not really up to par to handle it. So this reading will help me get there. Society Must be Defended will help me become who I need to become to write those essays.

Either way, these essays are going to take a fair amount of time, and I think this extra reading will help me.

It will help me reacquaint myself with the importance of military history, and help me re-merge it with the majority of my thoughts on philosophy of mind, and hopefully everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I spend most of my time working as a mental health professional. I have been preoccupied with philosophy, politics, healing, and many other questions for the last 15 years or so. I am currently working on putting together my study of Plato and Aristotle with contemporary work in philosophy, psychology, psychotherapy, and trauma research. I use this place primarily as a workshop for ideas. I welcome conversation with anyone working on similar problems. The major contours of my basic project have been outlined here

Followers